According to William Londen, “To insure good health, eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness and maintain an interest in life.
To maintain a healthy lifestyle, here are 5 practical tips:
1. EAT A HEALTHY DIET: Honestly, the most important way of maintaining a healthy lifestyle is maintaining a healthy diet. “You are what you eat”. A combination of healthy food including fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole nuts and grains is essential. Adults should eat atleast five portions (400g) of vegetables and fruits per day. It is also important to eat a balanced diet. By eating healthy, one will reduce the risk of malnutrition and non communicable diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Maintaining a healthy diet also goes along with consuming less sugar and salt, eating well cooked meals, reducing the intake of harmful fats, cut down processed foods, avoid harmful use of alcohol and avoid smoking.
2. DRINK MORE WATER: A lot of people don’t drink enough water as they should in a day even though water is essential for our body to work properly. Water is necessary for carrying out bodily functions, removing wastes and transporting nutrients to our body. It is also very important to know that drinking water doesn’t mean “Any water”. One should avoid unsafe water which might lead to water borne diseases like cholera, diarrhea, typhoid and polio. In a situation whereby one is unsure of the water source, boil the water for atleast one minute. Let it cool naturally before drinking. A good way to tell if you are getting enough water is by your urine—which should be either colorless or pale yellow.
Don’t forget to read: Ingredients for Gorgeous Skin, Healthy Hair and Strong Nails
3. EXERCISE: Exercising can also be referred to as physical activity or bodily movement in some way. Atleast, one should exercise for 30 minutes everyday. This will lower the risk of disease, create a higher bone density and also increase the potential span of life. It is important to note that you do not have to force yourself to rigorous and intense workouts. Slight activities such as floor Exercises, swimming, walking etc would also amount to exercising.
4. AVOID NEGATIVITY AND NEGATIVE PEOPLE: Self Love is important! In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, it is necessary to avoid people who doesn’t make you believe in your truer self. It is also important to avoid any act of negativity or negative thoughts that could hinder one from progressing in all aspects of life. Make it a habit to look at the brighter side of life. When feeling down, talk to someone who is trustable such as friends, family, colleagues or mental health professional. Surrounding yourself with positive energy and encouraging people will boost the emotional and mental state of health.
5. REGULAR MEDICAL CHECKUP: There have been a lot of situation where regular medical checkup have saved lives ranging from complicated surgeries to early detection of diseases and worrisome issues. Atleast, once in three months checkup is essential, including a general medical examination. This helps to keep tabs on your health, establishing a well functioning body system, helps to detect any health issues or infection very early and also extend your life expectancy and overall well being.
In conclusion, Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is not that difficult, nor does it require a lot of work. Just keep doing what you do and apply the staying healthy tips listed above. Surely, you will be a health or healthier individual in no time.